Last updated : February 07, 2023
Director, Muribushi Okinawa Center for Teaching Hospitals
- Areas of Expertise
- Clinical epidemiology
- clinical medicine
- medical education
- clinical reasoning
- health services research
Dr. Yasuharu Tokuda, MD, MPH, PhD, FACP, is the director of the Muribushi Okinawa Center for Teaching Hospitals. He also serves as an adjunct professor at the University of Tsukuba, University of the Ryukyus, St. Marianna University, and Dokkyo University and as an adjunct lecturer at Keio University. Dr. Tokuda graduated from the Medical School of the University of the Ryukyus and completed clinical training at Okinawa Chubu Hospital. He holds an MPH from the T.H. Chan Harvard School of Public Health. Dr. Tokuda’s research areas are general internal medicine, clinical reasoning, clinical epidemiology, health services research, and medical education. As an author or coauthor, he has published more than 300 English-language papers in peer reviewed journals.
- Tokuda Y, Shibuya K, Oguro K. Priority of SARS‐CoV‐2 test, trace, and isolation in Japan. Journal of General and Family Medicine. 2021;22:1.
- Tokuda Y, Kuniya T. Prediction of COVID‐19 cases during Tokyo's Olympic and Paralympic Games. Journal of General and Family Medicine. 2021.
- Tokuda Y. Biomedical science and clinical reasoning for choosing wisely top five list. Journal of General and Family Medicine. 2021;22:169.
- Tokuda Y. Japan should learn useful ideas from successful countries during the pandemic: A case of New Zealand. Journal of General and Family Medicine. 2021;22:117-117.
- Shimizu K, Tokuda Y, Shibuya K. Japan should aim to eliminate covid-19.
British Medical Journal 2021;372:294.
- Shimizu K, Kuniya T, Tokuda Y. Modeling population‐wide testing of SARS‐CoV‐2 for containing COVID‐19 pandemic in Okinawa, Japan. Journal of General and Family Medicine. 2021.
- Shimizu K, Kondo K, Osugi Y, Negita M, Mase H, Kondo T, Aoki M, Taniguchi K, Shibuya K, Tokuda Y. Early COVID‐19 testing is critical to end the pandemic. Journal of General and Family Medicine. 2021;22:67.
- Norisue Y, Deshpande GA, Kamada M, Nabeshima T, Tokuda Y, Goto T, Ishizuka N, Hara Y, Nakata R, Makino J. Allocation of mechanical ventilators during a pandemic: A mixed-methods study of perceptions among Japanese health care workers and the general public. Chest. 2021.
- Nagasaki K, Nishizaki Y, Shinozaki T, Kobayashi H, Tokuda Y. Association between resident duty hours and self-study time among postgraduate medical residents in Japan. JAMA Network Open. 2021;4:e210782-e210782.
- Kurihara M, Nagao Y, Tokuda Y. Incident reporting among physicians‐in‐training in Japan: A national survey. Journal of General and Family Medicine. 2021.
- Abe T, Ikeda T, Tokuda Y, Ito J, Suzuki Y, Narahara C, Iriyama H, Sato K. A patient infected with SARS-CoV-2 over 100 days. QJM: An International Journal of Medicine. 2020.
- Abe T, Tokuda Y, Iriyama H, Iwagami M, Komori A, Sugiyama T, Tamiya N. Surgical mask use by healthcare personnel to prevent COVID‐19 spread in a long‐term care facility. Journal of General and Family Medicine. 2020.
- Honda H, Murakami S, Tokuda Y, Tagashira Y, Takamatsu A. Critical national shortage of cefazolin in Japan: management strategies. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2020.
- Ishimaru N, Suzuki S, Shimokawa T, Akashi Y, Takeuchi Y, Ueda A, Kinami S, Suzuki H, Tokuda Y, Maeno T. Heckerling’s criteria to distinguish community-acquired pneumonia in a Japanese primary care setting: observational Study. Asia Pacific Family Medicine. 2020;18.
- Kamata K, Abe T, Aoki M, Deshpande G, Saitoh D, Tokuda Y. Dynamic vital signs may predict in-hospital mortality in elderly trauma patients. Medicine. 2020;99.
- Kamata K, Kuriyama A, Chopra V, Saint S, Houchens N, Petrilli CM, Kuhn L, Snyder A, Ishimaru N, Takahashi H, Tokuda Y. Patient Preferences for Physician Attire: A Multicenter Study in Japan. Journal of Hospital Medicine. 2020;15:204-210.
- Kamata K, Ohmagari N, Tokuda Y. Universal public use of surgical mask and respiratory viral infection. Journal of General and Family Medicine. 2020;21:35-36.
- Kono K, Watari T, Tokuda Y. Assessment of Academic Achievement of Female Physicians in Japan. JAMA Network Open. 2020;3:e209957-e209957.
- Kuniya T, Nakama Y, Tokuda Y. Demand and supply of invasive and noninvasive ventilators at the peak of the COVID‐19 outbreak in Okinawa. Journal of General and Family Medicine. 2020.
- Kurihara M, Tokuda Y. Learning important clinical skills during junior residency in Japan: A Case of Gram Stain. Journal of General and Family Medicine. 2020;21:33-34.