Last updated : October 04, 2023
Associate Professor, Faculty of Medicine, University of the Ryukyu
- Areas of Expertise
- School health
- Social epidemiology
- Exercise epidemiology
- Public health
Received his PhD from the University of the Ryukyus in 2019. Main area of specialization is health science. Is now an associate professor at Faculty of Medicine, University of the Ryukyus after having worked as an assistant professor at Okinawa Women’s Junior College, an assistant professor at the Graduate School of Human Development and Environment, Kobe University and an assistant professor at the Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University. Is concurrently a visiting researcher at the Faculty of Medicine, University of the Ryukyus; a special researcher at the Institute of Regional Studies, Okinawa University; and vice-chairman of the Okinawa Prefecture Committee for the Promotion of Physical Fitness of Children and adolescents.
- Kyan A, Takakura M. “Impact of COVID-19 pandemic on the socioeconomic inequality of health behavior among Japanese adolescents: A two-year-repeated cross-sectional survey.” Journal of Physical Activity and Health. 2023; 20: 538–546.
- Takakura M, Miyagi M, Kyan A. “Changes in the prevalence of health-risk behaviors among Japanese adolescents before and during the COVID-19 pandemic: 2002-2021.” School Health. 2023; 19: 14–25.
- Kyan A, Takakura M, Miyagi M. “Associations between 24-h movement behaviors and self-rated health: A representative sample of school-aged children and adolescents in Okinawa, Japan.” Public Health. 2022; 213:117–123.
- Kyan A, Takakura M, Kamiya Y, Kinjo N, Nakasone T. “Socioeconomic inequalities in toothbrushing behaviours in young children: A children’s lifestyle survey in a representative population of A city, Okinawa prefecture, Japan.” European Archives of Paediatric Dentisty. 2022; 23:969–977.
- Kyan A, Takakura M. “Socio-economic inequalities in physical activity among Japanese adults during the COVID-19 pandemic.” Public Health. 2022; 207:7–13.
- Ishihara T, Kyan A. “A narrative review of the relationship between early-life physical activity and later-life cognitive function.” Journal of Physical Fitness and Sports Medicine. 2022; 11:137–147.
- Kyan A, Tanaka S, Takakura M, Olds T, Schranz N, Tanaka C. “Validity of Japanese version of a two-item 60-minute moderate-to-vigorous physical activity screening tool for compliance with WHO physical activity recommendations.” Journal of Physical Fitness and Sports Medicine. 2021; 10:99–107.
- Takakura M, Miyagi M, Kyan A. “Time trends of socioeconomic inequalities in adolescent smoking in Okinawa, Japan, 2008–2016: A repeated cross-sectional study.” Environmental Health and Preventive Medicine. 2021; 26:24.
- Tanaka C, Kyan A, Takakura M, Olds T, Schranz N, Tanaka S. “Validation of the Physical Activity Questions in the World Health Organization Health Behavior in School-Aged Children Survey Using Accelerometer Data in Japanese Children and Adolescents.” Journal of Physical Activity and Health. 2021; 18:151–156.
- Yogi Y, Kyan A. “Psychological changes in anxiety, enjoyment, and value of learning in junior high school students learning judo.” Journal of Physical Education and Sport. 2021; 21:1676–1681.
- Yogi Y, Kyan A. “Skill-building and safety-related considerations for junior high school students learning judo for the first time: A complete survey of physical education teachers in Kagoshima Prefecture, Japan.” Journal of Physical Education and Sport. 2021; 21:843–851.
- Kyan A, Takakura M, Miyagi M. “Mediating effect of aerobic fitness on the association between physical activity and academic achievement among adolescents: A cross-sectional study in Okinawa, Japan.” Journal of Sports Sciences. 2019; 37:1242–1249.
- Takakura M, Miyagi M, Ueji M, Kobayashi M, Kurihara A, Kyan A. “The relative association of collective efficacy in school and neighborhood contexts with adolescent alcohol use.” Jounal of Epidemiology. 2019; 29:384–390.
- Kyan A, Takakura M, Miyagi M. “Does physical fitness affect academic achievement among Japanese adolescents? a hybrid approach for decomposing within-person and between-persons effects.” International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2018; 15:1901.
- Tanaka C, Kyan A, Takakura M, Olds T, Schranz N, Tanaka M, Tanaka S. “The validity of the Japanese version of physical activity questions in the WHO Health Behaviour in School-aged Children (HBSC) survey.” Research in Exercise Epidemiology. 2017; 19:93–101.